Ok so this is the first time I’ve ever tried a recipe off Pintrest and if quick and easy is what you are after then the slow cooker is probably going to be your best friend. I’ve made some amendments to this recipe as my trial run threw up a few areas which could be improved. It should really help take this recipe to the next level of yumness. The original recipe has been sourced from Damn Delicious.
- 8 Bone in skin on chicken thigh fillets (I used chicken breasts because this is all I had at the time)
- Potatoes chopped
- Baby carrots chopped
- Bunch of green beans
- Chopped parsley (if you like that sort of thing)
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup of salt reduced soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of Olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato sauch
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Herbs and spices to season
- Chop your veges however you like them and place into slow cooker
- Place chicken into slow cooker with your vegetables. NOTE I did this with chicken breasts and would suggest putting them in during the last hour or two of cooking.
- In a large bowl combine sauce ingredients – taste and amend if needed.
- Place sauce mix into slow cooker and turn slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Add green beans during the last 30 mins.
- Serve as soon as it’s ready.
I would really suggest tasting your sauce before adding it to the slow cooker to double check you are happy with the flavours, the original recipe called for 1/2 a cup of soy sauce but it came out far too salty when I tasted (and believe me I like salty dishes), if that happens for you, you can up the other ingredients until you are happy. Same goes for the amount of time you want to cook your chicken for, I cooked our breasts for 4 hours on high and they were a little over done, whether the same thing would happen with chicken thighs bone in is another question but I guess it’s all trial and error sometimes when you are cooking.
On another note the sauce came out delicious and so did the vegetables, the toddler pronounced them “um um’ and got rather upset when we took her unfinished plate off her. To be fair she had eaten quite a lot and got to the point where she was putting the food in her mouth chewing then spitting it back out again…..I’m sure that’s perfectly normal right??