This is a super easy and quick dish that is suitable for children but also seems to be gobbled up by adults as well (my husband ate two bowls). What I love about it is that you can build on the original recipe to suit your own tastes. You could add chicken or mushrooms or take away the meat for a vegetarian option.
- 10 slices of bacon
- 400g mini shell pasta or other type of pasta
- 150g parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- knob of butter
- 300g frozen peas
- 2 dessertspoons of crème fraiche
- 1 lemon
- small bunch of fresh mint
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the mini shells and cook according to the packet instructions.Chop you bacon into small pieces, when finished put a large frying pan over a medium heat and add a lug of olive oil and the butter.
- Add the bacon to the pan, season if desired and cook until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile finely chop your mint leaves.
- Add frozen peas to the bacon and give the pan a good shake.
- After a minute add the crème fraiche and chopped mint to the pan.
- Drain the pasta and reserve some of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the frying pan and squeeze your lemon juice over the top.
- When it is cooking nicely remove from heat and add in some of the reserved pasta water to thin out the crème fraiche sauce. This will help make it creamy and silky.
- Add in the parmesan and mix in (you can serve this on top later if you wish)
- Serve up and enjoy.
You could add a side salad to this dish if you wish or not! What I loved about making this is that it only took me 30mins to get it up and out on the table. Both my husband and toddler loved it!